Tuesday 4 January 2011

Merry Christmas Delia!


I know it's absurd to be doing a Christmas blog in January, on everyone's first day back at work, when I haven't blogged in months.

But think of this as a preamble to Christmas 2011. Hell, we need something to look forward to!

And anyway, it's my blog so I can do what the fuck I like.

I just wanted to mention Delia's Christmas for a few reasons:

- I've had an excellent Christmas of eating, thank you very much.
- This was one of the first books on my cookery radar, and I remember very clearly watching the series with my mum. It was first published in 1994 so it must have been around about then.
- This was also one of the first books which I remember causing a massive social stir in cooking, at least among desperate, Delia-loving, dinner party-giving classes, who raided cookshops for the tins to bake her Little Sticky Toffee Puddings with Pecan Sauce in. My mum was too late.
- But mainly because, while doing Christmas foodage for 13 this year, it was the book my mum still referred to most, and it all worked - the cake, the mince pies, the pudding, the turkey. All moist and fat-laden and moreish.
- I even found a cheese straw recipe in there, to add to a selection of retro canapes I made for Christmas Eve dinner.

It just made me think that Delia, although she is Waitrose's new pin-up, has got a bit of a bad rap since that awful book a few years back about piling together pre-prepared shit and calling it cooking, when really she did sterling work in teaching a nation to cook.

I've never looked at her One is Fun! book, because it seems a bit tragic, but at the end of the day one is what I is cooking for, so I'm going to get hold of it.

Then, maybe, I'll check out her How to Cook series and teach myself to make some decent sauces and stop things burning without blaming it on my shitty oven.

That's all.


No comments:

Post a Comment